Re: problem upgrading to stable

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 03:53:37PM +0100, Christian T . Steigies wrote:
> Looks like a different problem than I had. When I tried to install it, the
> head command segfaulted, since it was used in postinstall(?) the
> installation did not succeeed. After I recompiled textutils and installed
> it, libc6 could be configured. Your error mesage does not say anything about
> head segfaulting, so its a different problem?
> Which kernel are you using? I am running 2.2.17, on kullervo (2.2.10) I
> installed this libc in a chroot using the recompiled textutils deb.
>
> Maybe its related to devpts, I don't think I am using that.
> Can you try to find out which line in the postint.rm segfaults?

OK, shall do. Unfortunately, /bin/bash crashes, which makes things
pretty hard! It seems to be something to do with ldso or glibc 2.2.1.

I have kernel 2.2.10, the one supplied with potato. I haven't tried
to recompile the kernel yet. (I suspect that is a good candidate
for a cross-compile from my i386.)

I set up a chroot woody setup and that also crashes the same way,
so it's repeatable here. The potato setup still works fine. I will
do some experiments on it to see exactly what the cause is.

By the way you may have heard of the debootstrap package which
helps to create chroot trees. It's currently i386 only but I
hacked it to work on m68k. I'll send the patches back to Aj
within a few days.

> Maybe this should be reported to BenC, I only had problems with head, but
> all kinds of packages might require recompilation (I am running a few more
> experimental/testing packages, bash, gcc, make they made it work for me?).
>
> Sorry, no further idea, but thanks for finding this out. Things like this
> happen when there are no mac debian-m68 developers, or users running
> unstable.

What's kullervo's hardware?

I just got this Mac installed on Saturday. I'd like to help out
wherever I can with m68k. I have broadband internet access here
which helps too (so far I've downloaded all of the potato base
about five times!).

Hamish