Re: 2.4.0 Test kernel: Success on P475

Hi all,

On  20 Jan, this message from Ray Knight echoed through cyberspace:
> I have just releaed a 2.4.0 test kernel and modules for the m68k
> Macintoshes on the SourceForge site at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-mac68k/ in the Latest File
> Releases section.  This kernel is known to boot on a Mac IIfx and
> support a Mac Con Ethernet card.  It will boot on a Quadra 950 but hangs
> when scanning the second SCSI bus (fix hasn't been ported from 2.2.x
> yet).  On an LC475 with the LC040 chip the system keeps resetting the
> SCSI bus.  This indicates that the 53c9x SCSI may still need some work.

Just to let you know that the 2.4.0 kernel dated 20010118 works fine on
my Performa 475 (upgraded to a full '040).

It seems to run faster (at least that's my impression) than the 2.2
kernels; and for me seems to be at least as stable as the 2.2.18
release.

2.2.18 had just died on me in a dselect session; 2.4.0 went through
without a problem, and is now compiling kernels as a stress test.

Here are some little problems I have seen with the 2.4.0 kernel:

- it seems the mouse is not detected. Only keyboard...
- caps lock doesn't capitalize all letters. Some (a, r, others...)
  remain lowercase.
- I'd have compiled a list of which ones are not OK, but ADB seems to
  have died. The console doesn't respond to keyboard entries anymore.
- I have periodic log message thus:

	Unexpected IRQ 3 on device 00000000

  I always had them under 2.2 kernels as well, but only once or twice on
  bootup; not later on. Now I have like 10 in three hours, but not
  regularly. I also did get lots of those messages when running the cpu
  overclocked from 25 to 33 MHz.
- I also get these messages on a regular basis:

Feb 17 15:55:48 tigger kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Feb 17 15:55:48 tigger kernel: eth0: Tx timed out, lost interrupt? TSR=0x3,
ISR=0x3, t=22.
           ^^ <- this value changes (like between 10 and 100)

  they don't seem to affect anything; I'm connected to the box via
  rlogin and everything seems to be ok.
  Here's how my ethernet is detected:

Feb 17 10:27:33 tigger kernel: eth0: asante: testing board: 16K memory - OK
Feb 17 10:27:34 tigger kernel: eth0: MacCon LC - A  in slot E (type asante)

Other than that, 2.4 seems pretty OK to me ;-) But then again, I only
have my P475 to test.....

Cheers, and thanks for the hard work ;-)

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |