Re: compiling a kernel

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001, Simon Richter wrote:

> > (I downloaded the kernel-sources-2.2.19 to install also a newer kernel
> > version).
>
> You will also need the m68k patch, available in the
> kernel-patch-2.2.19-m68k package.

Things still don't work out. It looks like the patching did crash the
kernel source code.

The compilation stopped with heaps of messages like that:

dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

These messages showed up in fs.h, pagemap.h, ataflop.c.

In fs.h line 377 it complains about a parse error before `unsagned´
(Is this supposed to mean "unsigned"?)
Then a warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union

It looks like the source code was crashed by patching it.

For ataflop.c make spits an Error 1 out, for first_rule, _subdir_block
and _dir_drivers an Error 2.

Because I had to fiddle around a little bit to find out, how patching
works, I deleted the kernel-source-directory, untarred the archive again
and did a deinstall and reinstall of the patch-package to make sure to
use untouched files prior to start of the "apply"-script.

What happened here?

Best wishes,

Kerstin

--