FYI: me, XFree86, and my Quadra 840AV

I recently completed my first successful complete build of XFree86 on my
m68k box, with about 100 megs of space to spare on the local disk.
Woohoo!

The box wasn't doing anything else except a "tail" during the build.
And, of course, a root cron job that runs rdate every 10 minutes to keep
the machine's clock from falling behind by literally hours during the
build.  (NTP still locks the box.)

Christian, of course, has such a speedy m68k that he was able to get the
.debs of 4.1.0-4 uploaded before my build had finished even though I had
a head start and a significant advantage of being able to start building
as soon as the source package was ready.  :)

I tried NBD but it was a failure.  The kernel wouldn't finish with the
nbd device for literally days after file operations had stopped, and
there is no documentation about how to merge the "diffs" that are
created back into the filesystem image.

Check out that CPU utilization; yow...

dpkg-buildpackage: binary only upload (no source included)
        Command being timed: "dpkg-buildpackage -uc -B"
        User time (seconds): 122976.66
        System time (seconds): 19898.74
        Percent of CPU this job got: 8%
        Elapsed (wall clock) time (h:mm:ss or m:ss): 46:10:09
        Average shared text size (kbytes): 0
        Average unshared data size (kbytes): 0
        Average stack size (kbytes): 0
        Average total size (kbytes): 0
        Maximum resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Average resident set size (kbytes): 0
        Major (requiring I/O) page faults: 23993758
        Minor (reclaiming a frame) page faults: 8972168
        Voluntary context switches: 0
        Involuntary context switches: 0
        Swaps: 0
        File system inputs: 0
        File system outputs: 0
        Socket messages sent: 0
        Socket messages received: 0
        Signals delivered: 0
        Page size (bytes): 4096
        Exit status: 0

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I just wanted to see what it looked
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    like in a spotlight.