Re: Potato TestCycle 3 and CVision64

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 02:42:34PM +0200, Allan Rasmusson wrote:

> It did work with an earlier intall. I haven't got the version number at hand
> since I'm at the university exploiting their free internet.
AFAIR all potato test versions were using the same kernel...
If the earlier version is a slink version, that of course has been using
2.0.36.

> When installing cycle 3 I followed all the steps for the cv64 from the install
> doc TO THE LETTER, also trying the startinstall_cv64. The odd thing is that
> not even pal mode gave me a picture. The signal must be sent directly to the
> native video port as if the PASSTHROUGH variable is ignored. The -v option for
> amiboot doesn't help either.
>
> should amigfb and cyber be in /dev/ram after boot? They're not in my install.
> Fbset tells med that /dev/fb1 is the cybervision card.
All video drivers are compiled into the kernel, so they are in vmlinux, not
in /dev/ram...

> I don't know if I'm way off, but could it be that something is missing in my
> drivers.tgz?
Nope, compiled in. If it is found as dev/fb1, I would say the boot
parameters are not correct. I don't have such a card, so I had to rely on
what the users told me to use. About passthrough I have no idea, you want to
use the cyberfb and not a native amiga mode via the scandoubler? I mean, why
use an amiga mode if you can use the cyber mode, wouldnt make much sense to
me. If you really want to use scandoubler output, you have to edit the
bootline yourself, it would have been hardly possible to include boot
scripts for all possible setups. Please read the ocsecsaga.txt or whatever
it is called for the different video options. PASSTHROUGH might have to be
actived in the kernel source, I dont know if there is a boot time switch for
it...

Please use StartInstall_c64 and tell us what happens. Even better if you
added a debug=mem to this script and use dmesg under AOS after the reboot
and send that output.

Christian