Re: boot-floppies report: success!

"Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 10:00:12AM -0700, Chris Baker wrote:
> > The machine is a Mac IIci.  I didn't feel like downloading stuffit
> > again, so I just used the penguin version I already had (from hamm?).
> What did you download, bf-mac? There should be a penguin inside (17 or 18,
> depends on your version). Doenst that work? I think there should be a hqx
> inside, if so, can you please check, if that works, especially, if its
> Penguin-18. Thats completely untested, it was unpacked and copied over from
> a Mac emulator...

There's a penguin hqx file there.  I couldn't find the program to
decompress it (I haven't used macos on that system for years).  If I
get some time this weekend, I'll redownload it and make sure it works.

> > I pointed it at the new kernel and ramdisk, changed root to point to
> > /dev/ram, and everything went smoothly.  The supplied kernel
> > recognized my ethernet card, and I haven't had *any* scsi timeouts in
> > the past two days (I'm using mac5380=4,2 in case anyone cares).
> Neat. Nothing that should be changed in the bf, everything can stay as it
> is?

I think we need a kernel with loop(?) support compiled in.  It works
ok without it, but people get confused....

> > Now, onward to vgetty.  I hope this box will make a great
> > fax/answering machine.
> Wasnt that pulled? Oh, maybe it came back. I had some problems in the end,
> switched to efax, works very reliable for me.

I don't know anything about efax, but I'm mostly interested in vgetty
(mgetty-voice, I should say) for the voicemail stuff.

Best wishes,

cbb