Re: Making X work properly

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 05:00:54PM +0100, Thomas Sjölin wrote:

> > Try to open an xterm and run "top". I would bet that, right after the
did you try top?
> > installation, a lot of processes are runing to update manpages and stuff.
> > When I want to log on to my amiga via ssh right after it booted, it also
> > takes ages until the connection is there. A telnet connection works
> > immediately... remember, m68k machines not that fast...
> > Or maybe you have a problem with gpm?
>
> Well, here's the thing. I tried to reconfigure gpm and changed
> responsiveness. It got better in X but not good at all. It cannot be that
> the processor is slow because when the pointer loosens up and I move it
> fast and for a long time it goes on, it's when I stop that it freezes. So,
you stop moving the mouse and the pointer does not move any further? Thats
what I would think is expected behaviour ;-)
sorry, did not get your point here...
> what I think it can be is that the mouse has to low priority, or? It did
> get better after changing responsiveness but since I don't know the range
> and what might be optimum it's a little hard to configure.
Please run "top" or "xload". I think a lot of processes are running, makeing
the mouse unresponsive. That also happens to me on i386 systems, when to
many netscapes/emacs are open. AFAIK the mouse is not done with sprites as
under AOS, so we have all the "benefits" of a unix system, including a jumpy
mouse.
top will tell you whats going on on your system. or ps or ... just try it.

Christian