Re: new boot-floppies

Hi Christian

On 20-Apr-00, you wrote:

>> That didn't help much for me. To make the installation of modules work I
>> had to copy everything from /target/lib/modules/2.2.10/ to
>> /lib/modules/2.2.10/
> from /target/lib to /lib? Hmm, thats the wrong way around... are you sure?
> Maybe you copied modules.conf too late? It only worked for me, when I
> copied just after selecting the point "drivers+modules" but before
> actually installing a module. At this time /etc/modules.conf has just been
> created (it does not exist before it seems). There is a warning that one
> file is newer than another, ignore that. I deleted the text file, Andreas
> (one of you), can you please explain what I wrote in the letter which was
> with the CD? But then I hope this will be fixed soon, since this bug is
> present for all architectures at the moment I think.

Yes, I'm sure. I copied modules.conf but it didn't work and I got an
errormessage that the modules wasn't found so I copied them and then it
worked. I don't remember exactly when I copied modules.conf. I had entered
module configuration but hadn't installed any of them. However, I don't
know if I had entered any of the subgroups (misc, net....) or not. But, I'm
sure about not having tried to install any of them. I was very careful not
to.
About the warning that a file is newer. I don't recall having seen that.

>> Next thing: When I chose to install dmasound it also installed the module
>> for soundcard and when I chose lp_mfc it also installed lp_m68k, they at
>> least got marked as installed and I couldn't remove them either.
> Thats ok, since the modules depend on each other. In fact, its good that
> they are loaded automatically, otherewise you'd have to load them yourself
> in the correct order... Try "lsmod" as root sometime.

Ok, then it's ok. It didn't happen in the previous version so I had to
check. Now I know that it's ok.

>> DHCP worked just fine. However, I'll make a new try without giving the
> Cool.
>> correct hostname. I did that this time because I've gotten used to. I'll
>> try not to the next time to see what happens.
> And that is good for what? Well, I dont know about DHCP, Im glad it works
> now. Please don't try finding more bugs than necessary ;-)

No, I won't :) The hostname? Well, I'm not an expert in networking but I had
to give the correct hostname in Miami to make everything work properly.
Miami isn't very good at DHCP since it won't work unless I enter a hostname
manually. It didn't matter what, just that I had something. Then to make
all other programs work properly, like StrICQ, I had to find out the
correct hostname that I had on the local network.

Then, when installing debian (slink) I had to enter the correct hostname
given to me by the local network together with the IP-number and so on to
make the connection work. Writing my own hostname or just leaving it as is
(debian) didn't work properly. So, as I was used to entering the correct
hostname I did that yesterday too. However, as I remember it, I didn't have
to enter a hostname when I got DHCP to work under Redhat 5.2 (beta) so I
shouldn't need it now either, I just did it yesterday because I had gotten
used to it. I'll make a new attempt tonight and enter a hostname of my own
liking instead to see what happens. It shouldn't make a difference but just
to check it out.

> How do you like the icons, can you seem them properly (do you use
> newicons?).

No, I don't use newicons, never have. Now with AOS 3.5 all newicons that
were installed are converted to AOS 3.5-icons and they work just fine. Are
the Icons distributed NewIcons? Perhaps I have to convert them because they
look like plain old 2.x-icons. That's what I think is the beauty of
3.5-icons. They hold both the old format and the new format. Though, I can
say that I like transparent Icons better, like the ones I sent you are. But
that's me :)

Regards
--
Thomas Sjölin

http://www.infoscandic.se/~thomas

Some people hope to achieve immortality through their works or their
children.  I would prefer to achieve it by not dying.
-- Woody Allen