Re: Boot floppies 2.2.11 report (failure)

> * Documentation:
> - Something's gone wrong with mac-fdisk.txt (sized 1 byte) and
> pmac-fdisk.txt (sized 26 bytes, reads "** man page not found **").

Uh, that's the result of another bad makefile hack I didn't check into CVS
last year. I had to work around the lack of man fdisk pages at that time.

Either way, in the latest mac-fdisk and pmac-fdisk packages there's a real
man page for both fdisk tools, the boot-floppies makefile might just look
for the wrong input files while converting the .man files to plain ASCII
text.

> - debian-mac.txt needs to be updated. [I think this is known]

Being worked on.

> *Boot:
> - Do the installation tools really have to reside in mac/install/mac/
> (useless nesting) ?

The booter, kernel and ramdisk can be placed anywhere you like. The rest
of the files is looked for in a particular directory structure.

> - I'd prefer "default" Penguin prefs that won't ask me for real floppies.

Add root=/dev/ram to the kernel options I guess. Best create a preferences
file that works for you, and ship it to Christan (MacBinary, Binhexed).

> - "Don't Disable Video Card VBL's" in the Penguin prefs shouldn't be
> checked?

Nope, that's the big bug that needs correcting (or Penguin-18 should be
used instead of -17)

> - There are two files called root.bin, a smaller one in mac/ and a larger
> one in mac/images-1.44 . After a moment of confusion I decide the
> difference is just empty space to fill up a floppy and use the smaller
> one.

In which case the padded root.bin is utterly pointless and can be removed.
My guess is that this root.bin is a floppy image with root.bin on it and
would be used for floppy based boot to read the ramdisk from (because
kernel and ramdisk won't fit on a single floppy). I haven't got that to
work out even for Atari and it's impossible on Mac due to lack of support
in booter and kernel.

> * Configure the Keyboard:
> - Several offered mac keymaps can't be loaded, e.g. both german ones.
> Logging in on tty2 and fooling aroung with the busybox toy tar I notice
> the mac tree of /etc/keymaps.tgz looks like the slink version. It contains
> only mac/mac-us-std.bmap, mac/mac-us-ext.bmap and mac/mac-fr2-ext.bmap .

Bug indeed.

> - Now comes up a funny dialog box stating "NFS install detected. Copying
> mac/images-1.44/rescue.bin to local before processing...".
> That's ridiculous because there's nothing local to copy to and maybe
> the cause for the trouble that follows. [But most probably not m68k
> specific.]

It probably thinks your install files are on NFS which is BS (assumes NFS
install == no local disks with the Debian archive).

> - The mac sleeps (works?) for some time, then tells me "Unable to
> mount the rescue floppy. You may have inserted the wrong floppy. Please
> try again." - yuck. Switching to tty3, I can see that "Mounting /dev/ram
> on /floppy failed: Invalid argument" twice.

/dev/ram is already used for the booted system so there's no surprise this
can't work.

> Switching to tty2 I try to mount /dev/ram on /floppy manually, which
> fails again with "Invalid argument". But after mounting my HFS partition
> on /mnt and dd'ing rescue.bin into /dev/ram I CAN mount /dev/ram on
> /floppy, so I guess dbootstrap somehow failed to read rescue.bin .

Uh, maybe it's supposed to work like that then, using a second ramdisk for
the unpacking. But loopback mounting rescue.bin should also work:

mount -o loop /instmnt/.../mac/images-1.44/rescue.bin /floppy