installing packages

Hello,

I am new to Debian Linux and recently installed 2.1 on my Mac IIci
(20meg RAM).  Base system worked fine.  I was able to do basic shell
stuff etc.
I am trying to install packages with dselect (I had chosen the "dial-up
user" profile) and am having problems.  I have a 1.9 gig linux
partition.
I accesed the CD (2nd CD of set as intsructed) OK, system found stable
main and contrib, using 'none' fore non-free, non-us and local.  Updated
list OK, then went to insatll.
System looked for Perl, asked for disk 1.  Put in disk 1.  System began
unpacking deb files.  A number of hours later after unpacking numerous
files OK, there were a bunch of error messages that system couldn't find
certain dir or files for assembling (or something like that), reported
more error and stopped install, and said 'hit return to continue'.  Back
to dselect menu.  At this point my CD would not eject.  I went to a
second console (to try and unmout the CD, which I haven't had to do at
this point to change CD) and entered log in name and then got:
EXT 2-fs error (device 08:05) ext2-find-entry:bad entry in directory
#370692:rec_len is too small for name_len-offset=0, inode=170536736,
rec_len=8224, name_len=8234
Remounting file system read-only.
This message repeated about 5 times and stopped at 'Remounting file
system read-only', where it stayed with blinking cursor.
I then went back to first console and quit dselect.  I got some normal
messages up to the 'have fun' and then got the same error messages as
above.  Nothing seemed to be happening.  I hard restarted.  Seemed my
whole drive was messed up, would not reboot to Mac desktop.  So I
rebooted off another hd and reformatted the disk (HDSC didn't even
recognize previous partitions) and started all over (checked for bad
blocks during init of linux partitions).  Same result during dselect
install.  Now I have 2 consoles up with 'Remounting file system
read-only' and flashing cursor.  I can switch between consoles, but CD
won't eject, and there seems to be no hard drive activity.  I'm about to
start all over again...
Please help
Thank you

Josh.