stuck

Ok, I give up...I'm stuck... :)

I've had at least one of my old Mac's here able to run Debian for some
time, but the installation was really a minimal one.  I have no 'official'
CD (on the list and waiting now for the next one...), but recently got
around to trying to get it more complete and up to date.  The kernel is
still 2.0.36...the rest of it was much older vintage...so it needed some
attention...not much more than base really...

That's been a bit of a struggle, but I've managed to get the right pieces
together and finally did get apt going too, so all of a sudden I had this
thing in the fast lane...sort of...ok, ok...its a 840AV, 64M of RAM and
now has plenty of disk, which is what had me squeezed for awhile...

I can't get X going...using the internal video, in case thats an issue.

Got stuck with this error from the FBdev...

(**) FBDev: Using default frame buffer video mode
(--) FBDev: Frame buffer device: Macintosh
(--) FBDev: Video memory 0k @ (nil)
(--) FBDev: MMIO regs: 0k @ (nil)
(--) FBDev: Type 0 type_aux 0 bits_per_pixel 0
(--) FBDev: Hardware accelerator: None
(--) FBDev: No driver support for hardware acceleration
bpp = 0, depth = 0, BitsPerRGB = 0

Fatal server error:
Can't handle packed pixels with 0 bits per pixel

I've found that I can change that behavior by removing the Modes "default"
in the Screen section of XF86Config, and by replacing default with the
actual
mode used at boot time from the Mac side (832x624), but the error then
becomes
"No valid modes found"  The monitor is an Apple 16, and it runs all day
at 1024
and yes, I've setup the Monitor section to reflect that...

Since I have this internal VRAM full in this box I've also tried 640x480
mode with the same result as the above...haven't actually tried 1024...but
little reason to suspect it would be different...

Oh, I'm still using Penguin 15 on this one too...could that be a problem?
It works fine otherwise...and always has, so its still there...when I came
home from work tonite I did an 'upgrade' too, in hopes that this fault
might
be resolved by getting it closer to where it should be, but that did not
change
this at all...the error from the FBDev is precisely the same as it was
before
I did the upgrade...

I got the X installed by using that metapackage in frozen...then changed
my
sources.list back to the default and did the upgrade...

Any suggestions would be appreciated....like I said, I'm stuck..tried to
plug thru it, but I'm bogged down now...and don't know what to do next...

I do have some old NuBus video cards that I could try in this thing, and
gave
that some thought, but wanted to see what you might suggest...their all
old
and none are capable of better than 640 anyway so I'd really rather get it
going on the internal video if that'll work since it can go to 1024 with
this
monitor...

thanks
paul