Re: ifconfig

On 08-Apr-00 Michael wrote:

>> I try to set up slink as a router on my Amiga. When I try to create an
>> interface with ifconfig I get messages like SIOCSIFADDR:
>> SIOCSIIFNETMASK: SIOCADDRT: AIOIFBRDADDR: Operations not supported by
>> device. This is true for eth0, sl0 and ppp0.
>> cSlip and ppp are loaded as modules. Same behaviour for adding a route.
>
> You need to _have_ these interfaces in the first place. For SLIP and PPP,
> that means you need to run slattach or pppd. See the man pages for more
> info.

Well, I tried it with a nullmodem-cable. I get these errormessages on
startup. Init looks in inittab and starts /etc/init.d/rcS
Within /etc/rcS.d/ there are different S??* scripts executed. The
network script brings this errormessages up, see above.
loaded are these modules:
lsmod: slip
       amiga-ser
       set_mfc
       ppp

I don´t understand why this messages come up at boottime.

I did a slattach -p cslip -s 19200 /dev/ttyS1 &
        ifconfig sl0 192.168.1.1 pointopoint 192.168.0.2 up

after login and get "Operation not supported by device" and
                    "sl0 unknown interface"

I killed slattach and back from X on the console I find
"ERROR 'sl0' busy and not MOD_IN_USE"

I read the NET-3 HOWTO any many other stuff, but this is a miracle for me.

Regards
--

  Andreas Meyer