Re: Potato boot floppies problems on MVME (was Re: MVME162, The saga continues.....)

> > Another problem with that root.bin is that /dev/console is major 4 minor 0,
> > which is wrong for 2.2 kernels.  Should be major 5 minor 1.  If I don't
> > fix that then the install on MVME hangs with "Cannot open initial console".
> Nick? I dont even know where it comes from...

The VME machines use /dev/console as tty to attach the installer to. 5,1
is indeed correct for 2.2 kernels. I hope the installer on the other archs
does cope with that :-)

> > I was also surprised that the tftplilo.conf didn't append "console=ttyS0"
> > (note ttyS0, not /dev/ttyS0 as per 2.0 kernels), but that hasn't mattered
> > so far.
> I am pretty sure that I used the config from the deb file. If this is wrong,
> it should be fixed in the deb.

>From tftplilo.conf in m68k-support.tar.gz:

[boot]
label      = Debian Install BVME4000/6000
alias      = i6000
restricted = No
cmdline    = root=/dev/ram0
append     = ro console=/dev/ttyS0
kernel     = linuxbvme6000
ramdisk    = rootbvme.bin

[boot]
label      = Debian Install MVME162
alias      = i162
restricted = No
cmdline    = root=/dev/ram0
append     = ro console=/dev/ttyS0
kernel     = linuxmvme162
ramdisk    = rootmvme.bin

[boot]
label      = Debian Install MVME166/167
alias      = i167
restricted = No
cmdline    = root=/dev/ram0
append     = ro console=/dev/ttyS0
kernel     = linuxmvme167
ramdisk    = rootmvme.bin

You'll need to change that to replace /dev/ttyS0 with ttyS0, and perhaps
adapt the kernel and ramdisk names in case they changed.