Re: Potato boot floppies problems on MVME (was Re: MVME162, The saga continues.....)

> > With potato the /sbin/fdisk script in root.bin is broken for Motorola
VME
> > boards.  This is a root.bin I grabbed from
> uh-oh...
>
> > Doesn't work because $2 is "Motorola", $3 is "MVME*".  I changed the
> > setting of Arch to
> >
> >     Arch=`cat /proc/hardware | ( read line; set -- $line;
> >           if [ "$1" = "Model:" ]; then shift; echo $* ; fi)`
> >
> > and that works for "Motorola MVME177", but I've no idea whether it will
> > break Amiga etc.
> Dunno, can you test that part on kullervo?
>
> > Alternatively we could just change the match in the case statement to
> > be
> >
> > BVME*|Motorola)
> I hope Nick will decide which way to go and submit a fix?

I chose the BVME*|Motorola) option it won't break other sub-arches.
Now fixed in boot-floppies CVS.

> > Another problem with that root.bin is that /dev/console is major 4 minor
0,
> > which is wrong for 2.2 kernels.  Should be major 5 minor 1.  If I don't
> > fix that then the install on MVME hangs with "Cannot open initial
console".
> Nick? I dont even know where it comes from...

This one is your doing Christian :-) the script that builds the root disk
(rootdisk.sh) calls MAKEDEV consoleonly, this particular option build a
console device
suitable for the currently running kernel which needs to be a 2.2 kernel to
get it right, it appears you must be building on a 2.0 kernel system. If
it's a problem for you I can build the VME root disks.

> > I was also surprised that the tftplilo.conf didn't append
"console=ttyS0"
> > (note ttyS0, not /dev/ttyS0 as per 2.0 kernels), but that hasn't
mattered
> > so far.
> I am pretty sure that I used the config from the deb file. If this is
wrong,
> it should be fixed in the deb.

The tftplilo.conf for potato shouldn't mention "console" at all. The latest
tftplilo (1.1.2) will automatically add a console=ttyS0 kernel paramater if
it is booting a 2.1 or later kernel.

Nick
Nick Holgate <holgate@debian.org>
PGP key from public servers : Key ID DF3E8223