Re: Unidentified subject!

Hi,
On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 10:00:40PM +0100, Thomas Sjölin wrote:
> When I try to log on as a regular user I get:
>
> 'Cannot execute /bin/bash: permission denied'
Umm, _thats_ weird.
> Of course this is something I can change but should it really be like that
> immediately after the base installation is done?
No, it shouldn't. I will check that sometime, right now I am building
another go, think I booted the freshly installed system only once but did
not log in as user, never expected _that_ to happen...
I just mounted my test partition, it looks ok there?

> The next thing. When rebooting I get quite a few errors from modprobe, like
> this:
dmesg might show them, or look into /var/log/kernelmessages or something.

> 'modprobe: modprobe: can't locate module char-major-4-69'
/etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-4-69 off

> and others like it with lower numbers.
similar for those. Its not critical, Im not an expert on this, but devices
which are non existent on your system can be switched off, it all depends on
your hardware, I dont know if this should be detected autmatically somehow.
Its properly documented somewhere.

> Before that another error flashed by, after calculating module dependencies.
> I had no chance of reading the line, it flashed by to quickly. Perhaps I
> should try to boot up in 1024x768 instead, to get more time to read and
> make a note.
If the system is still alive, its in some logfiles, see /var/log or just
dmesg. Did the system crash afterwards? Then you have to use some debug
option during boot.
> Perhaps all these are known too so.....
Just go on testing, I can not build boot floppies and test at the same time.
Did I tell you that the 2.2.10 kernel runs ony a few hours on my system? No
time to trace that down now...

> By the way, I cannot remember what each Character set was, which one I
> should choose. But, that is probably not necessary anyway since I chose to
character set? choose when, for what?
> install the iso-blablalba ( :) ) that  I knew is western and I got Swedish
> letters for the first time ever in Linux on my Amiga.
I think they are mainly used for Cds, aren't they? The console character set
can be changed with (user) commands (I once wrote something about that in
the FAQ, forgot how it worked), no need for kernel support here.

Icons: I have no OS3.5, I can not test them. If you make some, I can put
them in somehow, but Id like to stay with what we have now. I can see those
in full color :-)
Other icons might go into some contrib directory on the CDs. But I will only
work on a drawer, maybe a disk icon (message, ahem, swirl in a bottle).

Ok, where are the atari and mac users? I am pretty sure some things with the
layout of the files is still messed up. And probably lots for the mac, I
did not change there much, and it all looks quite weird... there _must_ be
problems.

Christian