Re: Oops X 4.0? Last stable version on Debian was 3.2 was it not??

----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Schmitz <schmitz@mail.biophys.uni-duesseldorf.de>
To: david ellison <david.ellison3@ukonline.co.uk>
Cc: <debian-68k@lists.debian.org>; <recipient list not shown: ;>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2000 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: Oops X 4.0? Last stable version on Debian was 3.2 was it not??

:
: As Christan said: yes, but we're also on Debian 2.1 aka slink yet. Only
: security related fixes are allowed into the later update releases as a
: rule (r5 currently) so X doesn't get updated. It's a matter of policy,
: take it up with the cabal on debian-devel please.
:
Well.. it isnt that important. I was just curious more than anything on the state of affairs for X :)

: Never. We may get a new release (2.2 aka potato in freze since awhile) but
: as XFree 4.0 was released only a short while ago potato will release with
: 3.3.6.
:
: <ObXRant>
: Looking at the sorry state of framebuffer device bases X server support I
: am sure everybody will be happy to keep XFree 3.3.6 around for a while.
: There's no m68k framebuffer support except for Amiga frame buffer devices.
: There's more general problems with the 'one size fits all' X server
: architecture: X outsmarts the kernel framebuffer driver on PPC instead of
: leaving it alone so ATI Rage Pro based Macs won't work anymore, plus some
: minor grievances. Yes you read me right: no one bothered to work on Atari
: or Mac framebuffer code when Geert asked for m68k XFree maintainers a year
: or so back. So there's not going to be any support it seems.
: Forget XFree 4.0.
: </ObXRant>
:
: ;-P I'm glad you didn't resort to fudging around with a libc upgrade in
: order to rectify this.
Nah.. with regards to Potato, it was unstable when I upgraded/moved to it. Although as far I could tell, in console most things worked find for me. Apart from any security issues I wasnt aware of :)

Its stil a little fuzzy after nearly a year with X. But of course, m68k is not super computer arch.. but it still runs Linux very well on my machines. I use X for mainly ease of use on multiple Xterms or other program, I can watch at the same time. More convience than asthetics.

Thanks all for the replies.

Dave