Re: Boot Floopies for m68k Mac

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 09:53:19AM -0600, Allan, David (DS) wrote:
> Christian,
>
> I just browsed through the FAQ that linked from the link in your message
> below, and I don't see any entries that address the installation of a new
> kernel into an existing Debian installation. Also, I didn't notice
Its nothing debian specific, I think I browsed the linux-m68k FAQ and saw
notes about building/installing a new kernel, since its something very
common you do with your linux. Read there again for details.
Anyhow, in short, will add it to my page when I find the time, but it will
not become a complete new users guide, the page is not ment for that.

You have a working debian install, install the kernel-image package with
 dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.10-[amiga|atari|mac|*vme*].deb
(fill in exact name, depending on your hardware, maybe other version, you
know what I mean). Install as root of course.
The kernel is installed, modules are installed in the right place. You will
see a warning when you install the same version (2.2.10) which is currently
running. Read the instructions to find out what to answer.
As we have no lilo, you have to get /boot/vmlinuz-<version> somehow on your
native partition, to make it available for your boot loader (penguin,
amiboot, ataboot?). I mount a native (amiga) partition, copy(! dont delete
the file in /boot) vmlinuz-2.2.10 to my amiga partition (you can use any
partition which you can access from both linux and your native OS) and
reboot. You can put it on an ftp server, send it to yourself by email, just
get it there somehow. BTW, AFAIK floppies do not work on m68k, on no subarch
(maybe VME, but definetely not on amiga, probably not on mac and I dont
think on atari).
Then I move vmlinuz to where I keep my other kernels on the amiga partition,
rename it, if I want to keep several version of the same kernel version
(does not work well with modules), edit my boot script and boot with the new
image.

> instructions for searching the archive in the FAQ, though I'll admit I
www.debian.org -> support/mailinglists -> debian-68k or search certain
lists. From memory, actual names may differ.

> didn't read it thoroughly. I know it's tiresome to have people ask the same
> questions over and over again, but we should also try to remember that it's
Its tiresome to _answer_. And to read wrong answers...
> not the same person asking that question for the umpteenth time: it's
> someone who has just discovered this list and is trying to get Linux up and
> running. Hopefully some fraction of those newbies will support the project.
Hopefully...

> That said, I have little room to talk, since I haven't figured out how I can
> contribute.
I just started a new page, which still needs a lot of work.
people.d.o/~cts/debian-m68k/potato/help.html (from memory)
There is no link to this page yet, since its far from being ready. I just
want to note somewhere what needs to be done and what people should do, if
they want to help. Don't ask me for details, I will add them when I will add
them, but maybe you can solve the problem, before I describe it in too much
detail.

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/