Re: FAQ (fwd)

Hello %f,

*** Begin of forwarded message ***

Date: 17-Nov-00 10:39:06
From: Moses Wildermuth <MosesPro@ecity.net>
Subject: Re: FAQ

--- Forwarded message follows ---

http://moneytalks.giftworldnet.com/

> Hi.
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Robyn Manning wrote:
>> To start linux without going to xdm you need to edit the inittab file in
>> the /etc directory. On the line id:5:initdefault: change the 5 to a 3.
>> This changes the run level, different run levels start linux in different
>> modes. You'll need to be root to make this change. After making this
>> change restart linux and it will start in text mode and you'll need to
>> use startx to start 'X'. Moses Wildermuth wrote:

I tried this and it didn't work very well, in fact a BADThing®  happened.  I
edited /etc/inittab and my file said id:3:initdefault, so I cahnged it to
id:2:initdefault and rebooted the machine.  After initiating linux from the
Amiga side again, the machine acted the same way, going into xdm and
endlessly asking for password, so i looked at the comments at the bottom.
They said level 1=single user, 2-5=multiple user, 6=maintenance mode.  So I
tried id:1:initdefault figuring this must be what you were talking about.
Ooops, bad idea.  after rebooting, et. al., linux on't boot up, it starts
going thru the motions and stops dead in its tracks.  last line on the
screen has to do with the clgen driver but I don't think that is the real
problem.  I tried to switch to other Virtual Terminals and nothing, no hard
drive activity either.  I tried twice just to be sure.  Darn it.  Unless I
missed something and the machine is actually just not showing me me
everything(ie there is text outside of my screen, waiting for input), it
means a total reinstall.  Not placing blame really, just wondering what
went wrong nad if I can still get where I need to go from here.

On a side note, before trying this I tried jumping in and out of X.  after
using ctrshift-fkey to get out of X and back to VT, nothing will let me
back in.  I tried ctrl-alt-fkeys and even ctrl-amiga-fkeys.  It didn't
work.  maybe there is a special key combinstion for Amiga that I am not
aware of.

Other than this foulup, which is really my fault for trying something on my
own, you guys are the friendliest and have given the best advice of all the
linux type mailing lists I am on.  Thanks for all that.

Regards
--
MosesPro --> Money Talks Enterprises

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/mosespro, ICQ-13469530, AIM-Wolfy2264
A3000D, Warp040/40, Spectrum, ASDG Xserial, Nexus, 2+64 Fast+8 DMA(RAD:),
9+1.2gig SCSI2, Zip100 and  Pinnacle 2X CDR/W; Running Hot with OS3.5 and
Scalos1.2! Emulating MacOS7.61 and Win3.11WFW, Debian68k, X is next.

*** End of forwarded message ***

Regards,