interrupted upgrade

I had to shutdown (clean) my Mac while upgrading from Slink
to Potato.  I now can't boot the half upgraded machine (it freezes
just after mounting all partitions).  If I boot from a ramdisk, I can
mount the partitions, but the ramdisk is root, and I cannot figure
out how to restart "apt-get dist-upgrade".  Any suggestions, or
should I give up and do a clean install?  Incidentally,  when using
root.bin, I cannot seem to mount the cdrom drive.

Thanks.

Greg Olson