Re: Sentris 650 serial ports

Dick Repasky <rrepasky@lack.uwsg.indiana.edu> writes:

> Chris,
>
> There really is no error message.  dmesg reports ttyS0 and ttyS1 both
> of UART type undefined.  I usually use minicom to test modems.
> When I try with ttyS0 I receive no error and no communication with
> the modem.  Ditto for ttyS1.  I've adjusted the speed within minicom
> (setserial -g reports ports to be "normal speed") to 38.4 kb and a few
> lower speeds but without any difference in performance.  No errors, no
> messages in the system logs.  Just quiet.

That's odd.  I had thought that all these machines used the same
serial hardware.  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than myself will
chime in.

My thoughts are that maybe you have the pc serial driver in your
kernel and not the mac (SCC?) driver.  That would definitely not work.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure that setserial *doesn't* work on mac68k, so
don't bother with it.  Also, in minicom, make sure you have hardware
flow control *off* as the RS-422 cable that macs use don't have flow
control lines.  Also, don't try to use speeds higher than 38400.

Anyway, I'm reaching the limit of my experience, here.  Anyone?

Good luck,

cbb