Re: which mac to buy?

On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> I got an offer for several macs. I have no time, but maybe its worth a try.
> Which one would you recommend?
>
> Macintosh IIfx, ci, cx

68030s... IIx machines, no less... ick.  Not my first choice... or even my
second.  The ci was always the benchmark workhorse of the Mac line back in
the 030/040 days, though.

> Macintosh Quadra 700, 610

68040s...  getting better... maybe if you only had $25 to spend...

> Power Macintosh 8100/80 (this is powerpc?)
> Power Macintosh 8100/100AV
> Power Macintosh 9500/12

There we go, my first choices.  Fastest out of anything in the list;
actually, it's strange how your list goes in order of increasing speed
and power.  (FYI, any Mac with 4 digits in the name is a PowerPC, i.e. not
68k.)

> I guess the Quadra 700? Seems to be supported. What comes with it usually,
> ram, hdd? Can I use my PC monitor? Network card would be nice.

Standard configs for the early PowerPCs were something like 16 meg ram, 500
meg HD, single speed CD drive. You can use any "PC" monitor if you get a
monitor adaptor - $30 or so if you shop around.

 Zaren Ankleweed - Bitdancer, Freelance | "We come from the sea, Tim; our
 Acquisitions Agent, Minister for "Bob" | blood is salt, and strange tides
 a.k.a. Zaren on #macintosh in the IRC  | ebb and flow within us all."
      "You're a madman!" --fkrol        | Rose, _The Books of Magic_