Re: Here's my Mac doc diff

On Sat, Jun 24, 2000 at 04:11:40PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> I should have known better than try to use the MacOS to send anything,
> especially Outlook Express...sorry. I'm happily using Pine, and will try
> again, this time from Linux!
>
> The .rtf was supposed to be rich text format. Hah! Also, more (or less)
> intelligently, it's not attached, it's just here:
yeah, looks much better now ;-)

Not bad for a first try, but I have to give some comments.

> -Mark Scott, Last change: June 21, 2000.
> +Mark Scott, Last change: June 13, 2000.
You obviously used the old text file to put your changes in and used the
newer one as orig to diff against... It would have been good to use the one
(debian-mac-3.txt) I put on the debian page, I think I corrected several
typos and other things (you need >40MB to unpack the base, 20 is much too
less) there. If we all use the newst available, the diffs should become
shorter.
I do not like your text reformatting (tabs, space, or whatever you used to
indent), but its probably due to your rtf troubles, at least partly.
Anyway, quite a few of your changes look reasonable, I will try to merge them
in.

But one thing I allways wonder about, did you mac guys actually test the
potato installation? There are some things which (all of) you describe,
which are obviously wrong (ie resc1440.bin is no more, its rescue.bin), at
least as far as I can tell from my Amiga experiance.
And one more thing, please don't forget that this is ment as a
_quickinstall_, please lets keep this text short. The full documentation is
in doc/ and is part of the boot-floppies. If you want to help there (and
m68k definetely needs an update here), please contact the boot-floppies
team. That doc contains very detailed information about the whole
installation and more, the quickinstall is supposed to list only the most
important things needed to get going. I mean, mentioning Toy Story is
correct, (except that woody is the _next_ release, not the previous), but
its not needed for somebody to install debian/potato.
Maybe it would be a good idea to direct the users at the very beginning to
the "real" docs. I think its only due to historical reasons, that this is
not (yet) mentioned in the quickinstall. I probably said this before, but I
thought I just mention it again, in case you forgot.

Christian