Re: Potato Installation guide

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 04:32:23PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:

> "If you only have the resc1440.bin floppy image, you will also need a
> program to dump this MS-DOS format floppy image to a 1440k (HD) floppy in
> your MAC floppy drive. I am not aware of any MacOS applications that will do
> this, so it might be easier to get someone with a Linux PC to dump it to a
> floppy for you. Not all versions of PC Access or DOS Mounter can read a DOS
> floppy with Mac binaries properly."
>
> Question: what is the purpose of this step? I always wondered that, and now
> that I'm working on a revision of the install guide, I thought I'd ask. I
> never used the resc1440.bin floppy, and I can't imagine why I would. Is it a
> rescue disk? I did a lot of research on trying to get my PowerMac to DOS
> format a disk, which it can do, but it didn't quite do it right. (I was
> always short of space by 512 bytes for the 1440k image, IIRC)
I think Michael said "delete this" and so I did. I've checked in the
debian-*.txt files for amiga, atari and mac, please have a look there, if you
want to work on the quickinstall. Either send diffs to the version there,
check it in directly, or, if you have no write access, send a unified(!)
diff here, ie diff -u debian-mac.txt.orig debian-mac.txt
If you don't find this, either look into the new boot-floppies which I just
uploaded (may take some time until they are installed) or on my debian page,
I gave a pointer in my last mail.

Christian