Re: Bootfloppies one more time...

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 08:27:34AM -0500, Ron Flory wrote:
Ron, can you please tell your editor to use a linelength of ~72 chars?

> Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> >
> >  Ehlo !
> >
> >     I have to write article about Debian/m68k instalation on Amiga. I have
> > installed potato on my system so I want to describe how to install it.
> >
> >     I started with bootfloppies 2.2.13 and no luck:
>
>  Are you using the potato installer?  I've spent most of this weekend doing fresh potato installs on an A2000, and except for
> some site mirroring issues on my end, things worked out pretty well.
>
>  I've had good luck installing potato from an AmigaDos FFS drive.  I found
> that I had to create my own amigainstall.lha file because the ones on the
> debian site are for the previous release, and have some directory layout
> issues.  Just do a wget of the disks-m68k/amiga directory tree, and
> generate your own amigainstall.lha file from this.  copy the new
> amigainstall.lha to your FFS partition.  Next extract this under AmigaDos.
> The installer files must be end up in "debian/amiga", which is another
> problem with the amigainstall.lha files on the debian site.
Wait a minute, I think some things are being confused here. First, it is
right, for slink we had an amigainstall.lha file, which we do not have
anymore for potato for two reasons. First, lha is non-free, which makes the
boot-floppies go into contrib when lha is used in the boot-floppies build
process. But more important, lha under unix seems to have been "improved",
by default it now uses lha6 compression, which is not supported by the lha I
use on the amiga. I was unable to create lha5 files under linux, if somebody
explains me how to do it, I might create those file again, but not for the
official boot-floppies, since i do not want them to go into contrib again.
Then, when you download all the files from disks-m68k, you just have to
clone the directory structure of the ftp site, ie an amiga subdir with
vmlinux, drivers.tgz and within that images-1.44 with the *.bin files.
No need to create an lha just to unpack it again... I suppose most people
will install off a CD, then the directory structure will be ok. Everybody
downloading directly from the net has to mimick the directory layout.

You can also try to get those files out of incoming before they are installed
(you will get a bf-amigatar.gz then) or from my boot-floppies page (outdated
files right now, but the installation should work as well).

But all this is not the problem here, he has a kernel problem...
> > Call Trace:
> >         [<0000ba20>] [<00006298>] [<000fe01d>] [<00006462>]
> >         [<00006298>] [<0000ba28>] [<0000ba28>] [<000f9fec>]
> > Code: b018 6606 4a00 66f6 6002 9020 4a00 661e 4878 00a0
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
> > In swapper task - not syncing
I did not pipe it through ksymoops yet.

> >     Then I cross-compiled generic 2.2.10 kernel (from sunsite.auc.dk) with CTS
> > config-2.2.10 - still the same - "oops". At this moment I'm using my
> > cross-compiled normal 2.2.10 kernel and it works ok (don't know how it will
> > work for few days - I use Linux only few hours a day and then switch back to
> > AmigaOS).
Can you catch an oops from your selfbuilt kernel (or maybe from the
rprecompiled debian kernel) and pass it through ksymoops to find out which
function causes the oops? That same kernel (well not the same, for my
machine I disabled the GVP SCSI support, since I also got an oops) is
working fine on my machine. But maybe you want to try the image I am using:
 ftp.de.debian.org:/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-m68k/base/kernel-image-2.2.10-amiga-no-gvp-scsi_2.2.10-1.deb
Allthough I would not expect any diffenrece in your case, you do not seem to
have an GVP SCSI controller, I have one and do not use it.

> >     At the end I want to ask: Is potato dist will good work with 2.0.36
> > kernel from slink? (I will describe how to install potato with slink
> > boot-floppies as I did it).
No good. It might work, but it would be really good to use 2.2.10. There
were some issues with dpkg, I am not sure if that is fixed now or if you are
required to run 2.2.10. Better try to find out why the kernel is not running
for you and fix that in the source.

kernel-debugging on linux-m68k@lists.linux-m68k.org, please.

Marcin, how about using your install instructions for the CDs? The
quickinstall guides for m68k still needs to be improved. I'd find it a waste
of effort if your guide were used only internally by some user group. I'd
like to have an improved guide on the debian CDs, but I have no time to
write it myself. Look at what we have, at the html docs, and update it for
potato. Shoul dnot be too hard, since not many things changed. And have a
look at whats alrleady there for VME and whats inprogress for mac. But
please, everybody who is working on this, be quick, I do not know how many
or few test cycles we will still have until potato will be released. It'd be
nice to have the docs on the CDs before they are burned...

Christian
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz