Re: PEX X font errors on SE/30...(was: Xserver/Xwindows on SE/30)

I dont reply to _that_ address... but you seem to read the list.
On Mon, Apr 10, 2000 at 08:01:52AM -0700, Ed Hurtley wrote:
> > > (--) FBDev: Video memory: 21K
> >                             ^^^ that looks a little low, doesnt it?
>
> > 21k is probably not enough, even for only two colors. I dont know about
> > grafic cars on macs, what do you have, which boot parameters do you set
> > (video=) if you have to set them on a mac...
> > The rest looks ok on first glance.
>
> Actually, the SE/30 has a 512x342 display, 1-bit, which requires (512*342)/8
> = 21888 bytes of video memory.  So, 21K is correct on an SE/30.  (Or any
> compact Mac, but good luck running it on most of the others.)
Who designed that hardware? And why would anyone want to run X on such a
display? But ok... look at your XF86Config or mine, which has a few comments
 http://www.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/XF86Config
near the end of the file you see the Screen section
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "fbdev"
    Device      "Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device"
    Monitor     "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultColorDepth 8
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "default"
        Virtual     1152 900
    EndSubSection

Which has to be adapted to your system (when you install X on potato, you
will be notified that you might have to edit this). And what do you have to
change? You guessed it, DefaultColorDepth 1 (1bit, right?)
Its allready in "my" file as a comment:
# monochrome, some MACs are using this?
#    DefaultColorDepth 1
#    SubSection "Display"
#       Depth       1
#       Modes       "default"
#       Virtual     1152 900
#    EndSubSection
You need a Depth 1 subsection, a defaultcolorrdepth setting is very
useful, but you can startx also with -bpp 1.

Now, didnt I write that in my FAQ?

> I'm keeping tabs on this because as soon as my extra memory and hard drive
> come in, I'm going to be trying this on my SE/30...
Good luck!

Christian