Re: BogoMIPs rating too high?

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Christian T. Steigies wrote:

> Why dont you look at the source for a place where it is used? I think its
> only used in the kernel, not in userspace. The kernel list should know more.

It is used for small delays. The bogoMIPS rating says how many times your
processor runs through the delay loop in one second. If the delay loop
changes, so does the bogoMIPS rating.

> > very well.  I was thinking that if the BogoMIP rating was inaccurate
> > (too high) then things might be timing out before they should be.  The
> > kernel however, seems to remain quite unperturbed and stable through
> > all this (and other bad behaviour I throw at it) but I would expect
> > timing problems there too.

If the rating is too high, the delay loop will be called with higher
arguments and delay longer.

   Simon

PGP public key available from http://phobos.fs.tum.de/pgp/Simon.Richter.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1