Re: Xserver/Xwindows on SE/30

Johan Ugander <johan@ugander.com> writes:

> Ok, I've done a little reading, and I'm goin to go ahead with getting
> Xserver to boot on the se/30. I could really use some help from
> anyone that has booted xserver on teh se/30, or any compact mac, for
> that matter.

Read Christian's FAQ--the URL is in his .sig.  That will tell you how
to configure the Xserver on your local machine.  Once you get X
running locally, go into an xterm and type

$ xhost +your.local.ip.address

where you replace `your.local.ip.address' with what you think you
should.  Then telnet to the remote machine, and set the DISPLAY
enviornment variable.

$ export DISPLAY=remote.ip.address:0

where the `:0' at the end specifies which display you want to use and
is probably optional in your case.  Now you can run any X clients on
the remote machine and they will try to connect to your local Xserver.

The ssh package is a lot easier to use and a ton more secure than
this.  You just run sshd on the remote machine, and when you connect
using ssh (which replaces telnet), you can skip the xhost and DISPLAY
steps, plus it encrypts the entire session so no one can eavesdrop on
it.

> Basically, as I understand it, I first have to setup some
> configuration stuff, but after that I can just telnet in to any box
> and run startx?

I'm not sure what this does....

> It sounds too good to be true. Please, someone elaborate, and please
> tell me what config tools I need, along with any other lib's or
> anything. Basically, a list of the following would help:
>
> (.deb) files needed to configure and support Xwindows for se/30
> files needed to support a remote xwindows session on the host machine
> (not the se/30)

Find the package names from the debian web site and use `apt' to
install (from memory--YMMV):

# apt-get install xserver-fbdev

apt is one of the main reasons why debian is so great!

HTH,

cbb