Simple kernel compile

Hello all,

I'm trying (and trying and trying) to compile a new kernel; the default I
got from the mac-68k site doesn't seem to have PPP support. I think I
started out with a slink-based installer (2.1, right?) But then switched
over to potato (2.2). I've only got a very minimal install going, since I'm
getting everthing off the net with my Quadra 610's 33.6 modem. I read the
Documentation/Changes to see about the minimum requirements to do the
compile, but I must still be missing something simple that isn't included in
the docs...I try to compile (see above comment :-) but I get parse errors,
and messages that I'm missing stdio.h and such. I would include a list of
the error messages, but when I run "make dep > parse-errors" (to save the
error messages to the file parse-errors) I only get one line of text that
starts with -Wall...not very useful.

So, what am I missing, and how do I get the messages that stdout prints to
my screen to go to a file?

Thanks for your help!

Russell Hires