RE: bootstrap (was Slink install on Falcon ....)

Here is a summary of my install steps and my setup.  I should have provided
this from the start.  My apologies.

Hardware:
Stock Falcon 030 with clock mod. (CenTurbo IIB is in the mail!)
14M RAM Atari Memory board
Stock 80M IDE harddrive Partitions C-F
Two 202M SCSI 2 drives.  SCSI ID 0 & 1
One NEC CDR-73 SCSI CD ROM Drive.  SCSI ID 2

Software/Linux install:
I tried to install several times and the machine kept locking up.  I finally
removed the CD ROM driver and that didn't help.  I read the list archives
and saw where Roman talked about running in 16 color mode made things run
better.  This was my problem as I was running in 256 color mode.

I used HD Driver to partition my two SCSI drives:
/dev/hdb1 is 32M of swap (partition ID SWP)
/dev/hdb2 (the rest of the disk) is / (root)
/dev/hda2 is usr.  I tried to use the whole disk but found out it wasn't
recognized by the install program.  I searched the list Archives (See I do
read some!) and saw where there was a bug and that I had to create a small
partition (I used it for TOS) in order for the install program to "see" it.

Next I used PARC to transfer the install.lzh file from my PC.
I unarchived everything to the Debian directory.

I followed the install.txt directions in the disks-m68k/current/atari
directory

When it came time to configure modules I didn't configure any.  I did as the
instructions said and just exited out of the screen and continued.

I didn't configure any network stuff.  Gave the machine a name and answered
'no' to the question are you connected ...

I edited the bootargs file in the C:\Debian directory to -k linux
root=/dev/sdb2 video=keep

I double click on bootstra.prg and linux boots and everything looks pretty
good until I get the following lines:

Root-NFS: Unable to open at least one network device
Root-NFS: Unable to contact NFS server for root fs, using /dev/fd0
instead
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

And that is the whole story!

I have traced my steps and the only thing I can think of that deviated from
the instructions was the following:

I unarchived the install.lzh into the Debian directory and not in the C:\

This is the only detail I can think of that is not exactly like the
install.txt says.  I don't know if this could make a difference or not.

Regards,

Brian