compiling a kernel

Greetings:

I have an SE/30 running slink and I thought I'd try to use it to
compile a kernel. I'm assuming that if you use all of the components
from slink that this should be possible. However, after grinding along
for many hours, it stopped with this:

arch/m68k/mac/mac.o: In function `mac_nmi_handler':
arch/m68k/mac/mac.o(.text+0x1b68): undefined reference to `ncr_debug'

and a few more lines to that effect.

Since I didn't mess with any source code, I assume that I missed some
procedural step along the way. Here's what I did; perhaps someone can
spot my mistake:

got the following packages:

kernel-package  6.05           Debian Linux kernel package build scripts.
kernel-patch-2. 2.0.36-3       Diffs to the kernel source for Linux/m68k
kernel-source-2 2.0.36-3       Linux kernel source.

Unpacked the source, verified that the 2.0.36-extra.diff.gz sym link
points to 2.0.36-mac.diff.gz.

Set the PATCH_THE_KERNEL environment variable as follows:

PATCH_THE_KERNEL=
export PATCH_THE_KERNEL

(This is the step I'm mainly unsure of. The instructions in
/usr/doc/kernel-patch-2.0.36-m68k/README just said to set this
variable. It didn't say what to set it to.)

Executed the script to apply the m68k kernel patches:
/usr/src/kernel-patches/m68k/apply/apply_me

make menuconfig ... configured a monolithic kernel with support for my
hardware only.

make-kpkg clean ; make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel-image

Came back 6 hours later and saw the error termination.

Is anything obviously wrong with this?

Thanks,
-- Mark