mac install

Hello,
    I have some macs that I would like to install linux on but none are
attatched to the internet. Is it possible to download the files I need
for installing onto a PC and then copy them to the mac via floppy? And
also could someone tell me what a *.hqx file is and what a *.bin file
is?  I tried the following with a .bin file and a .hqx file...
    1) downloading them unto a pc running linux
    2) copied them to a hfs floppy
    3) copied them to the mac
Apple said if you double click on the *.bin files then they are supposed
to expand but this did not work when I tried it. Am I doing something
wrong? Is there a program that I need to have running on the mac? Am I
downloading wrong? (I used lynx to donload the files cause netscape
messes up on the *.hqx files and only downloads a part of the hex file)
I tried looking at the files (on linux) with the mac tools. Can't find
out what is wrong. I noticed that a hfs diskette has a .findinfo folder
and .resource folder in each folder on the disk. Is there something that
cp on linux is not doing? Is there some part of the *.bin or *.hqx file
that must be copied to the .resource folder in order for the mac to know
that it is a executable?
    Any help would be greatly apreciated.

cheers,
James