NeXT port progress at ALS

Zephaniah ("Mercury") Hull (with some vague assistance from yours
truly) hacked on the 2.1.124 sources (plus Zach Brown's patches)
enough to get a NFS root installation of Debian 2.1 (slink) running on
a NeXT "pizza-box" (a mono NeXTstation 040/25 with 20 MB of RAM).
Novare gave the box to Zeph so he can continue to hack on it (and
because they didn't want to haul it back to Houston ;-).  Zeph came up
with the insight that corrupted packets would be retransmitted, so
they can be safely ignored (as long as the DMA hardware is handling
*some* of the packets right ;-).  Zeph now feels masochistic enough to
try to get 2.3.x running on it.  He should also get the RTC working
(if only to shut up the Debian boot process).

So, the Debian booth had 2 m68k boxes running (the other a Mac SE/30
that was being used for "train wreck" value).

Chris

P.S. The penguin didn't render in mono (er, I mean, 2 bpp grayscale
;-) in 2.1.124 (but the space was reserved for it anyway).  Has this
been addressed in the fbcon system in later kernels?
|        Chris Lawrence        |         Get Debian GNU/Linux CDROMs        |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>   |        http://www.lordsutch.com/cds/       |
|       Debian Developer       |   Visit the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5:   |
|    http://www.debian.org/    |   <*> http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/ <*>   |