Re: Linux/Sun3 Debian

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 10:57:55AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For some time now there is a Linux port for the Sun3 type machines
> > (3/50, 3/60 mainly). I'm compiling a bunch of packages so I can use the
> > system comfortably myself. But of course, I don't mind in sharing them.
>
> Refresh my memory: is that the line of Sun3 with the weird Sun MMU that uses
> a different page size?

Yes and yes. This has a bit negative effect: we have to load the
executables low in the memory, which is incompatible with other M68k
architectures. One of the "problematic details" is that at the moment,
all packages are tagged -m68k.deb, but probably will only work on
sun3...

> > netboot out of the box (this is the method used to bootstrap it at the
> > moment), so it would be nice if the floppies, or install images, can be
> > loaded via the network somehow. Maybe there is information on this?
>
> Look at the MVME and BVME install images, the VME boxes can also netboot.
> You need to find a way to transfer the ramdisk image together with the
> kernel, or let your Sun NFS-mount the ramdisk image. BOOTP/RARP and NFSROOT
> support is required in the kernel for this.

Hmmm, most Sun3 machines have at least 8MB of ram, so a ramdisk would be
nice, but as most people netboot anyhow, root-via-nfs is already
configured.

> You will need a ramdisk image that knows it supports Sun3 first.

This will be the most important step for installing. I will try to
figure this out after having build a "base" set of packages. But the
most important hint is/was the [MB]VME machines.

Erik.