Re: Ethernet on Quadra 700

Hi Chiara,

I had similar problems when I started.  First of all, which kernel you
use might be a factor.  I am using a 2.2.6 kernel built from a recent
CVS snapshot from ftp://mac.linux-m68k.org/pub/kernels/.  I had trouble
with earlier kernels (but that was awhile ago, so I don't remember which
versions).

Secondly, I have a suspicion that some sort of initialization has to
take place in MacOS before you boot the kernel.  I found that sometimes
ethernet would work, and sometimes it wouldn't.  I did some things to
make sure that MacOS fully initialized the ethernet port.  For example,
launching from a "Startup Items" alias to Penguin rather than using the
INIT, turning on AppleTalk and setting AppleTalk to use the ethernet
port, and turning on Mac file sharing).  Once I did that, I haven't had
trouble with Ethernet since.

And as you know, the VBL interrupt option must be unchecked.

Now my machine automatically boots into Linux via the alias in the
Startup Items folder, and turning on the preference to boot when Penguin
is launched.  My machine was rebooted this way due to a power outage a
few days ago, and it came back up (with ethernet working) just fine.

hope this helps,
Mike