Bis: Linux on a Mac LC475

<The problem waz to install Linux on a Floppyless Mac>

Michael wrote:
> Install a new one, [...]

I thought about it, but it's quite impossible to find a floppy drive
for that Mac in France. (or quite... I thought about it...)

> [...] and reinstall MacOS before planning any further [...]
That ok, but there are three problems :

1. As David J. Ratliff wrote :
     > What version of MacOS is recommended
2. Where can i get it ?
3. Won't it take some place ? (HD is only 80Mo)

Olson, Greger J. wrote:
> [...] and you have no net access on the 475.

That's a problem I will have to solve, but not the most imprtant now...

> First do you have a full '040 in your 475, or at least a
> non-broken LC040 ?

It's written 68LC040RC25 on the chip.
Conforming to Motorola's micropro user's manual, that
means a Integer Only 68040. I will have (happily) the Memory Protection,
(MMU is there) but no FPU...
[In fact, that may not be a real matter for the tasks it will do...]

> Can you actually access a Mac formatted SCSI disk on your PC ?

I dunno... I there is a MacFS option during configuring the
kernel (2.2.10), it's Experimental... but that should work.
Little problem : Will FDISK work to create the MacFS partition ? and
is there a kind of 'mkmacfs' for next step ?

> If so you could install the base system from there.

Would a simple cp /mount-point-of-SystemDisks /mount-of-MacFS work ?

> I would recommend getting a CD-ROM drive for the
> Mac and installing off of that.  That's what I did on mine.

I may have a possibility of finding an Apple CD300e drive... If that
work, it may be great... Just the problem of finding a System CD...