Re: Which JVM can I use?

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Thomas Adams wrote:

> > ftp.de.debian.org:/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-m68k/interpreters/
> >  875308 Apr 17 18:53 kaffe_1.0.b4-1.deb

> Does this work on slink? I don't have the harddrive space necessary for
> compiling it myself and would be glad if anybody could do a slink port if
>the above mentioned deb is potato only.
Just try it out, I think it should work. We still have the same glibc in
potato, the same libstdc++, the same whatever. I guess it works on m68k.
What do you have to loose?

> On Wed, Apr 28, 1999 at 04:15:36PM -0700, Malcolm Walker wrote:
>
> > However, I think that the debian package doesn't come with a java
> > compiler; something about pizza being non-free?  Anyone know for sure?
>
> I'd like to know this as well.
>
> > Hence, you may need to get guavac or pizza seperately to compile the java
> > code.
>
> Speaking of guavac. I've seen this in the list of available packages but
> couldn't install it because it depends on a JVM which m68k slink doesn't
> provide.
>
> How come that there are programs in the distribution which you can't install?
Because you havent reported it as a bug. Perhaps you dont know it, but there
are only a handful of people building packages for m68k. Its impossible to
test every package. And its possible to build a package which depends on
something which is not available, bad luck. You should shout out here if you
discover something like this. Maybe it can be fixed, if not the offending
package should (will) be removed.

Ciao,
Christian.