Re: SE/30 not booting

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Malcolm Walker wrote:

> > I'd like to get linux/m68k running on this SE/30, but hamm distribution
> > seems to have disappeared off of the ftp mirror sites, and it looks to me
> > like the slink and potato distributions won't boot my SE/30. Am I using the
> > wrong 2.1/2.2 kernals? Any comments or suggestions would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Debian 2.1 does NOT require a 2.1 kernel; it's just a coincidence that the
> numbers are close to each other.  You should be able to use the 2.0.36
> kernel to install.
In fact, Debian 2.1 is designed to work with a 2.0.36 kernel. Thats why the
kernel supplied with the boot-"disks" is 2.0.36. You might experiance some
suprises if you use 2.1/2.2 kernels during installation (Chris has fixed
this, hasent he?), but they work fine after installation (talking Amiga
here, Michael will tell you which kernels to use on MACs).

> Be careful using tricky screen calls however; the 6x11 font is broken and
> will do funny stuff without warning if you:
> -edit text in the middle of a line
> -scroll up or down a lot
> -hold your nose the wrong way
>
> Hence, a 2.1 kernel is desirable from this aspect as it lets you use the
> VGA8x8 font.  I couldn't get 2.0.36 to use it.  The downside to the nice
> fast font is that you can't see the whole screen at one go.
Never heard of that problem, that sounds funny. Isnt it worth a note to
linux-m68k?

Ciao,
Christian.