Re: Mac CD stuff

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Michael Schmitz wrote:

>that's the description I wrote up when I first got Brad's mail. The floppy
>mentioned is not the MacOS HFS format install floppy, rather the
>macinstall-temp.img that's not been uploaded to the FTP site.
>
>I've tried to work something out:
>
>#!/bin/sh
># MacOS magic; useful for HFS CD I hope
>#
># Assumes cwd is root of the CD tree.

OK, I'll try this on the m68k tree I still have. I'm waiting on Christian
to say how his test went yesterday before I start, though, in case he has
stuff to be done as well...

[snip]

>I've run this script on my Mac; you'll need to replace the ../release/
>with the path to disks-m68k/source/macinstall.tar.gz on your system and
>will have to run the script in the root of the CD source tree for m68k
>but that's minor adjustments.
>
>The method to turn the .hqx files into files in the Netatalk format isn't
>very elegant. hexbin -a seems to do something similar (if you create a
>.AppleDouble subdirectory) but the file sizes don't match; I expect the
>finderinfo will be missing.
>
>If you want to experiment a bit, you can try to work out the alternative
>method at the end of the script, bypassing Netatalk format and going with
>MacBinary files as source for the Mac specific stuff. I've not got to
>find out what a MacBinary file has as creator/type; it seems it's just a
>data file and mkhybrid needs to probe the file contents ...
>
>The cd-mac.sh script together with macinstall-cd.tar.gz (install/mac/
>in Netatalk format) is in ~schmitz/boot-floppies on master.
>macinstall-cd.tar.gz is just for comparison, to make sure the script works
>for you, though it can be used for the CD creation as well :-)

OK...

--
Steve McIntyre, CURS CCE, Cambridge, UK.         stevem@chiark.greenend.org.uk
home page</a>                          Cthulhu - Why vote for the Lesser Evil?