Modem/serial problem?

Got a basic problem which affects minicom and pon (I think).

System: Amiga 3000 - Debian 2.0 - Supra Modem

Start minicom. It complains that it can't find /dev/ttyS0 (it is where it is
supposed to be). After it exits, start it again. No problem.

Minicom dials my ISP, and I hear the "connect" sound. However, nothing comes
back from the modem. That is, nothing appears on the screen after the modem
"OK". Minicom continues the countdown, hangs up, dials again. Log says that
it didn't get a connection.

Similar problem pon. Plog shows that it is waiting for "CONNECT", which it
never gets.

I skimmed the Serial HowTo, but I didn't see any info that addressed this.
My guess is that I've missed a configuration file somewhere. Any pointers
toward my next step?

- Nick -
ncook@idt.net