Re: Need your input for keymap configuration

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 1999 at 09:40:44PM +0100, Yann Dirson wrote:
> >  > A, somehow, related question. How to get a correct keymap under X?
> >
> > Hm, X keymap setup is currently quite a distinct thing.  I hope to add
> > one day support for reading Xkb defs in console-tools, but there are
> > so much things to do ;)
> >
> > It would be great to share as much config info as we can with X,
> > though.  We'll see that when my code stabilizes for the console.
> >

> I seem to remember some stuff about X using the same keymap as the console,
> but i am not sure anymore about it. I did not do any config file editing when
> i installed X and it took my azerty keymap without major trouble (just the
> Delete/BackSpace stuff, but i guess it is not keymaps related). But then it
> was a long time ago.

If you don't use XKB, XFree86 queries the kernel for the current keymap (it
traverses all keycodes and modifiers and asks for their mapping). Hence the
keymap will automagically be correct (assumed it's correct in the console).

That's one reason to not use XKB :-)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
--
Geert Uytterhoeven -- Linux/{m68k~Amiga,PPC~CHRP} -- geert@linux-m68k.org