Mac SE30 SCSI problems--info.

Title: Mac SE30 SCSI problems--info.
As I mentioned previously, I have had problems with the SCSI on my SE30. Not
only was it running dead slow, but it was problematic to install Linux in
the first place. The default setting worked most of the time, although it
did not allow for checking of the disk before writing the inode tables.

Since I haven't got into the internals of the NCR driver (yet), I have only
done some quick-and-dirty tests. The results are useful, but not quantified.
Any feedback would be useful.

Basically, I just changed the values for the mac5380=x,y parameter in
Penguin. Below I will list the parameters used and the results obtained.

4,2 (default) booted most of the time (hung on boot occasionally), but was
very slow in operation.

4,8 error on boot. Message: DEBUG: Unexpected IRQ 4

4,0 proceeds to boot until SCSI is detected, then hangs.

2,0 seemed much faster but hung on mounting root

2,2; 0,2; 0,4; 0,8 Worked much better, booted properly. Subjectively, 0,4
seemed to be the snappiest, but I was unsure how to quantify transfer
speeds. If anyone has a method to test this without the disk cache
confounding things, I'd be happy to test further.

Hope this helps others with problems.

Nigel.

PS Would it be useful to put something in the installation notes about these
settings since it nearly totally stopped my install? (It actually did stop a BSD install, but the less said about that ...).