Re: what about potato boot-floppies for powerpc/apus ?

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 10:41:09AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > > If you really want to have APUS included, potato won't freeze anytime
> > > soon, or at least the boot floppies will delay release even longer than is
> > > to be feared now anyways.
> >
> > are you saying if i wish to have APUS included, potato will be delayed by it ?
>
> No, what I'm saying is that potato would have to be delayed for that. I'm
> not saying it will (take that up with the release team, preferably after
> checking with the powerpc porters).
>
> > What about just just making an apus lha archive containing all needed stuff,
> > and sort of include it unofficialy ?
>
> Where? I've not seen a section 'unofficial' on the FTP archives, nor an
> 'unofficial' CD. If it's on the FTP site or on the CD, it's official. If
> you want to build your own distribution 'based on Debian', fine. Beware of
> the obvious traps (need I say Schatztruhe here?) and be prepared to
> support it.

If Sven can have proven working apus support in the kernel-patch,
kernel-image, and a branch of boot-floppies within two weeks then I think
it could go into potato.  Considering it's low impact on other subarchs and
the pushing back of the freeze, I don't think it will hurt.  Unfortunately,
there appear to be so many special cases for apus kernel support (telling me
that nobody is actively maintaining it), it's going to take a lot of
commitment to make that timeframe.  We can't afford to have apus support
rolling into boot-floppies after a couple weeks.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com