Re: X11 Works

>> I finally got the thing to work and boy it's great. I just did what
>> Christian said and went with the Potato setup. I installed the Potato
>Oh you make me so happy, finally somebody is doing what I say!
>But now I will never find out, if the patch I mailed last night will work on
>slink systems..

I think it would have, but I adjusted the file on my old desktop and
put it back on the Linux partition. I have an OS that has a driver for
ext2 partitions. I got some real crazy errors, so I went with the
potato. When I had to adjust the file again, I used AE and that worked
fine. If I had used AE withyour patch, it would have worked as I
compared the two files on an ACSII editor and they were bascially the
same.

>> version of Xfree86, Xserver-common and Xserver-fbdeb (I think that's
>>the name). I had to change one line in the XF86Config. I have an Atari
>Is that so?

Yes, I am an Atarian. Read me my sig file. There is a program for X11
called Stonx which is an Atari ST emulator. I want to try that out and
see if it works.

>> Hades 060 and the Config file made reference to /dev/mouse of which
>> there was no such file device. I had to change it to /dev/atarimouse
>Are you really really sure? Didn't the installscript ask you about your
>mouse? Told you "Oh, you have allready a /dev/mouse shall I remove it and
>create it anew?" You should have done that (its still untested on ataris,
>thats why I want you to test that). Please run xserver-configure again and
>answer "yes, yes" to reinstall XF86Config and to let the setup program
>create the dev/mouse link. Its better when you use /dev/mouse for all things
>than dev/atarimouse, imagine, you set up gpm and its looking for /dev/mouse,
>it would work out of the box then.
>Please try it and tell me if it works.

Ok, I ran the xserver-conifgure program. It asked me if i wanted to
re-install the XF86Config file again and I said "yes". I did not get
another prompt however. What I did get was:

rm: /dev/mouse  no such file or directory.

Could it be I still have the slin version of the xserver-configure
program? I did install the potato version of xserver-common.

>> and the X11 loaded right in with the mouse working fine. Of course I
>> will need to get the Joystick working. That may be a problem since my
>> joystick port is a standard Atari joystick port and I may have to find
>> a suitable driver.
>We never cared for the joystick, I dont even know if it would work. I bet
>you have to compile a kernel with joystick support, I never tried that.
>What would you need the joystick for when you have a mouse?

Well again look at my Sig file. My call sign is Gamer. I will not be
playing many games with Linux (too good for that), but you never know.

>> Now should I d/l other Potato files too like the xdm display
>> manager and install them? I would think so..
>If you want to help us testing the packages, yes please. If you just want to
>use it, no you dont have to. xdm is ok, it builds from the same source as
>x11 (same version number I hope). But potato contains way more packages than
>slink, so download it! Test it :-)

Ok, I will give it a try.

Edward S. Baiz Jr.
    (Gamer)
HADES 060: 140meg Ram, Yamaha CDRW Drive, 1 gig Jaz
 Drive, MicroTek E3 Ccanner, Mach 64 w/4meg Ram, Epson
 Photo 700 printer, 33.6 US Robotics Modem
PROGRAMS: Extendos Gold, Cab 2.7, ScanX, STiK2, aFTP,
 Calamus SL99, Newsie, Popwatch, Papyrus 5, Photoline,
 Nova Driver 2.67, NVDI 5, Linux