Re: XF86Config

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Edward S. Baiz Jr. wrote:

> Do not mean to bring it up again, but here is what happened. I copied
> the file XF86Config.eg the the specified area and renamed it. I booted
> up Linux again and I got this error report:

> Config error: etc/X11/XF86Config: 505
>
> Endsection ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Screen section keyword expected
>
> Can anyone tell me what that means??
ARGH... should there be more bugs in it than I thought? Could you compare
your XF86Config (last lines) with this:

# Server for the Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device
# Note: DefaultColorDepth, Depth and Virtual aren't used for mode "default"

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "fbdev"
    Device      "Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device"
    Monitor     "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultColorDepth 4
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth       1
        Modes       "default"
        Virtual     1152 900
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I removed the uncommented subsections here. You should have this as well, or
something with your package is wrong (this is from the potato package).

If you read the FAQ carefully your would note that this config is wrong (I
really hate it that we were not allowed to make a new upload for slink...),
at least it looks so to me. This one uses a DefaultColorDepth of 4 (ie 16
colors, must by frommy OCS times) but it only defines a Depth of 1 (two
colors). I said that I do not use slink anymore, its fixed in potato.
Anyway, try this (256 colors):

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "fbdev"
    Device      "Linux/m68k Frame Buffer Device"
    Monitor     "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultColorDepth 8
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth       8
        Modes       "default"
        Virtual     1152 900
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Don´t change the Modes and ignore Virtual, it ignores me also. Please tell
me if that works, Ill have to update that mini FAQ then and put a correct
XF86Config on the web... sigh, why cant you all just switch to potato?

Ciao,
Christian.
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz