Re: Some Questions

On Fri, Oct 22, 1999 at 08:38:29PM -0400, Edward S. Baiz Jr. wrote:
> I want to install the X11 package. I have run into alot of packages for
> this system which is good, but for now I want to ask the name of the
> basic base-files. In order words, what are the names of the files I
> will need just to get X11 up and running. The other extras I will worry
> about later.
Well, you will need some basic packages installed to get a working system.
When I grep only for xfree packages on my m68k machine (potato), I get:
ii  xbase-clients   3.3.5-1        miscellaneous X clients
ii  xdm             3.3.5-1        X display manager
ii  xfonts-100dpi   3.3.5-2        100 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-75dpi    3.3.5-2        75 dpi fonts for X
ii  xfonts-base     3.3.5-2        standard fonts for X
ii  xfonts-scalable 3.3.5-2        scalable fonts for X
ii  xfree86-common  3.3.5-1        X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
ii  xlib6g          3.3.5-1        shared libraries required by X clients
ii  xlib6g-dev      3.3.5-1        include files and libraries for X client dev
ii  xmanpages       3.3.5-2        manual pages for X client developers
ii  xserver-common  3.3.5-1        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-fbdev   3.3.5-1        X server for framebuffer-based graphics driv
ii  xterm           3.3.5-1        X terminal emulator

You don´t necessarily need xmanpages, xdm, xlib6g-dev and xfonts-100dpi (or
was it 75dpi?).
You do want a window manger, like fvwm2, fvwm95, twm, some-other-wm.
Any maybe some programs that make use of X, like a clock, gimp, ...
Oh, btw, the names are a little different in slink, version numbers should
be 3.3.3.2a or something.

Maybe you want to buy a CD set if you dont have a good/free net connection?
BTW, when you install xfree, please do not ask "I installed X, but I dont
have XF86Config". Thats a FAQ, read it, read the archive of this list or use
the xfree packages from potato.

> Also, when you run DESELECT and install a package, just where does
> Linux put that package? Does it go into the home directory under your
> name?
No... I think you also want to read a unix/linux book.
The files go where they belong to. Try dpkg-deb --contents package.deb

> I experiemented and set the time/date. I also set the screen colors.
> Just how does one save these screen settings? I though it would do
> that when I was logged in as "root", but it did not.
Screen settings? Are you talking about the "color or mono" question during
the base install? Or did you play with fbset?

> Should I being using programs for slink or potato? I am using a Kernel
> for the Hades version 2.2.8.
Linux newbies should run stable versions, thats slink at the moment.
If you want to help debian/m68k (read NOT ask questions, but answer them,
solve bugs, not find them), you want to run unstable/potato.
Ok, once you are comfortable with your stable system, you can upgrade to
unstable, but dont shout when your system will be "unstable" then ;-)
It usually is as stable as the "stable" version, but there happen to be some
bugs from time to time. If you find reproducible bugs then and you report
them, that may be helpful as well. But it seems nobody really uses it, I did
not recall any bug report or problem with m68k packages reported by a
debian/m68k user...
But from what Ive read from you, you do want to start with slink.
kernel: you might have to use linux-2.0.36 to install packages (not sure if
that problem was solved finally?). This only only for installing packages,
using them after they are installed, you can use any kernel you want.

> I am starting to get used to Linux. I can understand the rumors of
so slink is for you, definitely.
> Micro-Soft being afraid of Linux. What a system!!!!!!!!
On an atari? Oh yeah, there will probably never be windows on Ataris, cool,
Linux rulez...

Ciao,
Christian.
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz