Re: NeXT port progress at ALS

It should be noted that I have not slept yet, and as such will probably
not even remember writing this message..

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 07:45:24PM -0400, David Huggins-Daines wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 06:28:27PM -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> > So, the Debian booth had 2 m68k boxes running (the other a Mac SE/30
> > that was being used for "train wreck" value).
>
> Well.  If we can get a NeXT patch for 2.2.10 (or 2.2.<whatever the latest
> m68k kernel is when we finally release potato> :) then we should certainly
> add NeXT support to potato.

Hmm, if getting to 2.2.x is preferred to 2.3.x then I can try and do that
instead, note that the only way to boot and use the NeXT box is to have
the bootrom tftp the kernel, and use a nfs-root...

> > P.S. The penguin didn't render in mono (er, I mean, 2 bpp grayscale
> > ;-) in 2.1.124 (but the space was reserved for it anyway).  Has this
> > been addressed in the fbcon system in later kernels?
>
> Yes, the Macintosh patch for 2.2 contains a 2bpp penguin.

Good, I'll actually have a system which I feel like using a framebuffer
on so I can see the penguin!

Now, someone email me every few days and remind me to subscribe to the
m68k lists until I reply that I have done so...

Also, I'm going to need someone who knows DMA, and has at least a little
experience with kernel hacking.. (I have minimal experience, not enough to
try and get things working yet..)

Zephaniah E. Hull..

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801