Re: Stupid Questions

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 12:08:45PM +0200, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> > Also, if I am in Linux, how can I tell the difference between an
> > executable file and a folder?
>
> If you list the files with ls -l, they show the accession bits and
> additional information like d for directory. Do you have the manpages
> already installed? With apropos "searchword" you find commands having
> something to do with this item and with man "command" a help- and
> infotext is displayed saying things about syntax of the command etc.
>
> E.g. with man tar you find out, how to unpack *.tar archives.
>
> > Right now Linux comes in Mono. How do I get it to come in color and how
> > can I change the color mode to 24-bits.  Right now I boot up in 256
> > colors.
>
> I cannot tell you how to change to colour, my TTM 194 would not care about
> that kind of settings, but I know that colour can give you information
> about the kind of beast you are confronted with. It can show different
> colours depending in whether this is a directory, a datafile, an
> executable or a device without a ls -l command.

Actually what you would like to do is :

ls --color.

another option is to put an alias in your .bashrc as follows :

alias ls="lscolor --color -F"

this is just an example, look at man ls for more details.

You can also use the fbset command (in package admin/fbset2) to change
the color depth of your terminal, the syntax should be something like :

fbset --depth 24 or something like that, see man fbset or fbset --help
to be sure.

sure you need to have a framebuffer enabled kernel (no problem under
m68k i think), and your fbdev driver has to support all color depths.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER