Advice on quick, useful set-up

Hi all,

You'll have to forgive me for not having read all the FAQs I should have.
I'm trying to knock up a debian/m68k box in a hurry for the Linux Expo
(tomorrow!).

I thought it was all going to be straightforward, but I have since
discovered that my ethernet card doesn't work.  (Not linux's fault - it
doesn't work under MacOS either - it just seems to have broken).

This means that installation is more like hard work.  I have an external
hard disk, which I am using to transfer files from one machine (a powermac
running macOS) to the LCIII in question.

I notice at the moment that the machine panics - BUSERR - when I hit
delete on an empty prompt - presumably, the 'beep' noise is BUSERR'ing.

Anyway, any advice or caveats about what to install?  What is stable in
potato at the moment?  What's the best kernel?  Shall I put X on it?

Is there a console font which gives you 80 columns in 512x384? The 8x8
recommended by the install docs is only sixtysomething....

Any other thoughts about what I should show to impress people at the expo?
The general idea is just to ram home the point that debian runs on
obsolete hardware too - 'leverage legacy resources'....

Any/all help appreciated,

Jules