Re: m68k mac questions

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Jonathan Hendler wrote:
> I am a quadra 660 usr of Debian m68k.
> I still can not mount the hfs volume on sda4
[...]
> I have used mount -o -t hfs and hpfs and /dev/sda4
> tried also
> mkdir /mnt/sda4
> mount -t hfs /dev/sda4   or /mnt/sda4
> cd /mnt/sda4

Unless you have the mount listed in your /etc/fstab,
you need to specify both the mount directory (/mnt/sda4)
and the device (/dev/sda4) in your mount statement.
And of course, you'll need to be logged in as root.
Assuming your mkdir of /mnt/sda4 above worked correctly...

	mount -t hfs /dev/sda /mnt/sda4

Two other caveats.  First, you need either use a kernel with
hfs support compiled in, or to be loading the hfs module.
Second, word has it that hfs support is busted in the 2.2.*
(or is it 2.3.*? I haven't tried lately) kernels, so you may
need to stick to a 2.0.36 kernel.

> trying to copy and or install from it...

General consensus says not to install directly from HFS.
Copy from the HFS volume to one of your ext2 (linux) volumes
and install from the latter.  Crashing during package
installation can be a very painful experience, depending
on what is being installed.  =)

> I also can not open text files in DOC,

Sorry, do not understand your question.  What do you mean by "DOC"?

> I have the debian guide (i386 specific)

For Mac-specific details, see...

	http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/

Unfortunately, there's no link to that on the Debian/m68k pages.
There's also a linux-mac68k mailing list (details on the website)
where you can get ask Mac-specific questions.