on board ethernet (Sonic) on Quad's

Can anyone shed any light on this?  Thanks

I have five or six Quadra's; Q650, Q700, and Q840's, and the on board
ethernet
doesn't seem to work on any of them.  I've tried kernel's from 2.0.33,
2.0.36,
2.1.120, 2.1.131....Some actually do find it, and it is there and
configured
after booting according to what ifconfig shows, but it doesn't work!  No
packets
appear on the network when anything is attempted such as a ping to
another
machine, or a telnet, etc.  AND, another ifconfig after trying anything
like
that shows no packets having been sent thru the interface.  Yes, route
shows the
static route to the network via that device....On the 650 and the 840's,
only
2.0.36 actually finds the interface, but again, it doesn't work.  On the
Q700,
it is found by almost all of the kernel's i've tried, but it just doesn't
work
with any of them that I've tried.

An Asante NuBus ethernet card works fine on all of them, with any kernel
I've
tried.  Problem is, I only have one of them....

Paul